Sunday, June 3, 2012


I <3 Adoption pt 1


I have thought about how I would approach this subject in the most gentile, loving, sensitive way, so here I go...

World, meet E.K.  She arrived on April 25, 2012, at 1:08am.  She was a whopping 7 lbs 5 oz and was 20.5 inches long.  Isn't she beautiful?!?!!
Now, let me back up 6 months earlier.  My sister dropped a bombshell, and YES it was a bombshell, that she was pregnant.  I had very mixed feelings flowing through my noggin as she explained the who, what, where, why, and how of life and this particular situation.  I felt so bad for my sister and the tough choices she was going to face in the the very near future.
Flash forward a month or so-I get a phone call from my sister asking me to contact a friend of mine,who had adopted two ADORABLE boys, to ask a few questions about adoption.  Up to this point she was wanting to keep the baby.  So I called my friend, Amanda, asked the questions and received the answers.  The entire time I was on the phone with her I just kept thinking, "please let my sister choose adoption and choose Jared and Amanda."
A week later my sister called me again and asked me to contact Amanda again to see if she and Jared would meet with my sister and her case worker-so I placed the call.  What a wonderful, tearful, joyous call I have ever made in my life.  I really didn't think I would cry but I just broke down, which caused my friend to break down as well.  Her answer, "Of course we will meet with them!"
Flash forward to April 24, 2012.  My sister was past her due date a few days and she was having contractions but nothing consistent, but I went to spend the day with her anyway.  I was rubbing her back during a contraction when her water broke!  So excited but a little nerve racking-at least for me. 
We get to the hospital, Jared and Amanda were called and labor began and continued and continued, etc, etc, etc.  Man, labor is long!
Here are the adoptive parents, me, and my mom.  We were my sister's cheerleaders the entire time.  There may have even been some dancing involved-just saying.  And there may be some pictures catching a certain blond in the act-again, just saying :)
My sister wanted all of us in the room when she began pushing so, of course, I was was totally there!  I gave birth to 4 children, but all by c-section so this was a whole new experience.  Let me just say, I have a whole new respect for women who give birth vaginally-yes, I did just type that word.  I CANNOT believe all the work my sister did to bring this beautiful little girl into the world.  I was amazed, in awe, and I just kept saying, "How the HECK are you doing this!!!!!"  And then there she was-this perfect little being, with perfect dark hair, and perfect olive skin, and perfect little fingers and toes.  Side note:  My sister was born with 12 toes, so we examined the toes right away :)
SHE.WAS.PERFECT.
The flood gates opened and cameras began to snap, and flashes began flashing.  It was so surreal to see everything going on.  My sister looked beautiful, absolutely exhausted, but beautiful.  AMAZING~
Beautiful birth mom

Proud Poppa and Momma


Even more proud Birth Grandparents

...and my favorite-This is Woody-not only was she a FANTASTIC post buddy in high school, but she is one.amazing.dr!  Yes, I grew up with this Doc, and she has some mad skills as an OB.  Love her for the way she took care of my sister.

There is so much more to come, so to be continued....

2 comments:

Renée TOMLINSON PETERSEN said...

Lisa, This brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for the post. Beautiful story, about my favorite people whom I am grateful are in my family.

Julie w said...

So happy for everyone involved! Congrats!