Saturday, May 14, 2011

Somewhat grounded...

Many of you know that I have been training for a half marathon since January, and it is going to happen next Saturday (cheers, hoorays).  I have been hitting my miles and cross training a ton to prepare for this race.  Well, two weeks ago today during a 12 mile run my foot started to hurt.  No biggie-I thought I would just walk it off.  Well, I couldn't walk it off.  Turns out it hurts to walk or stand, but it doesn't hurt to run.  Isn't that weird?  Well, no swelling the first week, just a lot of random pain. 

So last Saturday I ran 10 miles and it was one of the best runs I have EVER been on....EVER.  Everything flowed, I was in a zone, had awesome conversations (more on that in another post), felt fantastic all around.  I woke up on Mother's Day to a HUGE.FAT.FOOT.  What in the world?  Fast forward past two more runs (which didn't hurt) to Friday.  I finally went to see a trainer at the high school where Trevor works and as far as she could tell it wasn't ligament or tendon issues.  Now, she is a runner and she knew that no matter what anyone said-even a doctor-I would still run the half marathon.  Let's just say she is my friend and I will be getting an x-ray AFTER the half marathon.  My choice, my choice, my choice.  Did I mention that it's MY CHOICE?  On her recommendation I am resting my foot for 5 days, which will suck for me on Tuesday when I go out to run, but I do get to ride a bike to keep my legs going in the mean-time.

I promise I am not trying to be some tough chick, but the fact of the matter is, I have worked HARD to get my body in running shape, and I have spent HOURS preparing for the race-I am not about to have someone tell me that I cannot do this.  No way, No how.  Advil will be my best friend on Saturday morning, and then MAYBE (emphasize that word) the doctor. 

Up next.....RAGNAR!  :)

1 comment:

Renée TOMLINSON PETERSEN said...

Oh Lisa. I have empathy for you! You will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers this week cause I know how important this accomplishment is to you! Aunt Renée