Monday, January 24, 2011

New Year, new me...

New Year's resolutions have never stuck with anyone....however, semi-resolutions do.  Or at least I hope.  So I have embarked on a sort of new, semi-resolution.  I have signed up to run another half marathon in May, and then run RAGNAR (again) in June.  My last half marathon I ran better than my goal-however, I felt out-of-shape overall.  Meaning:  I did the running, I hit my distances, but I didn't cross train at all.  So that is what my resolution is-Cross training while running. 

For three weeks now I have followed this training schedule:
Monday:  weights and interval training
Tuesday:  run on a treadmill (yuck!  except the speed drills work out nicely on a treadmill)
Wednesday:  weights and interval training
Thursday:  run on a treadmill (5ks each time)
Friday:  rest
Saturday:  longer runs (hopefully outside)

Okay, so I have yet to run on a Saturday-things keep getting in the way, like bad air days, kids sick (I didn't get to sleep until 4:45am last Saturday, but was supposed to go run at 6am-NOT.HAPPENIN)

On the bright side I am down about 4lbs (probably the same 4lbs that I gained the week of Christmas-YES the week of.  Not the entire month of December, THE.WEEK.OF.

Anyway, my mother would probably be gasping at my run-on sentences and improper grammatical crap, but I shall move on.  This week I am going to change it up.  I am still keeping the running on their same days, but on Mondays and Wednesdays I am going to do Pilates.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE pilates.  It's so relaxing, but MAN you feel it the next day!  My goal is to do this for a few weeks then go back to weights and interval training.

The theory goes if you change up your routine then your muscles work harder for your body, burn more calories, etc.  At least that's what my trainer told me (from years ago) and that seems to be a common consensus among so-called health gurus (watch the P90X infomercials-they whole heartedly agree).  This way your body has to guess what's coming, instead of going on auto-pilot with the same motions.

I have also purchased "The Biggest Loser Family" cookbook and have made some homemade meals from that-some were a hit, others-well, let's just say I have been politely asked to NEVER make that one again.  I just need to tweak it a bit.  Anyway, what good is a workout if CRAP goes into my mouth.  So, of course, I still have my Isagenix shake or Bars once or twice a day-depending on the day and now healthier meals.  I have always tried to cook healthy, but let's be honest, PIZZA is AWESOME and easy.

So there is my Semi-resolution.  Boring?  Probably.  Can I stick to it?  Hopefully.  Wish me luck-or call me around 2pm and tell me to put that handful of chocolate chips back into the bag and step.a.way! 

1 comment:

Ty Lyman said...

you can do it. You're way better than me. I still have NO MOTIVATION what so ever. My hope is that I'll have the motivation after the ice and dark is gone :). I will train again with the couch to 5k.....I got my husband the biggest looser game for the kinect, he's doing AMAZING. I think your great for training, I think your even more amazing to have semi-resolutions :). GOOD LUCK...ohh and just for the record. Chocolate is good for you if it's over 72% cocoa :)....so long as you have the good chocolate your good :).